What does it mean the "Mark" string under the info in RTP packets?
Boaz Galil
2009-07-29 15:36:42 UTC
Dear Experts,

I am reviewing G729 packet stream. I have noticed that I have lots of
packets that have the string "Mark" in the info field.

Guy/or any other expert - can you please share some information about the
"Mark" string?

Thanks in advance,
Boaz.
Jaap Keuter
2009-07-29 17:30:38 UTC

This is used with Voice Activity Detection / Silence suppression. The RTP flow
halts when no-speech is detected and when the speech resumes the first RTP
packet has the marker bit set to signal this fact[1].
The use of the marker bit is profile specific[2], so look at the application of
RTP to see if this is appropriate.

[1] http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/faq.html#marker
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?rfc=3550&draft=&url=#section-5.3

Thanx,
Jaap
Anders Broman
2009-07-29 17:40:35 UTC
See RFC1889:

marker (M): 1 bit

The interpretation of the marker is defined by a profile. It is

intended to allow significant events such as frame boundaries to

be marked in the packet stream. A profile may define additional

marker bits or specify that there is no marker bit by changing

the number of bits in the payload type field (see Section 5.3).

:

5.3 Profile-Specific Modifications to the RTP Header

The existing RTP data packet header is believed to be complete for

the set of functions required in common across all the application

classes that RTP might support. However, in keeping with the ALF

design principle, the header may be tailored through modifications or

additions defined in a profile specification while still allowing

profile-independent monitoring and recording tools to function.

o The marker bit and payload type field carry profile-specific

information, but they are allocated in the fixed header since

many applications are expected to need them and might otherwise

have to add another 32-bit word just to hold them. The octet

containing these fields may be redefined by a profile to suit

different requirements, for example with a more or fewer marker

bits. If there are any marker bits, one should be located in

the most significant bit of the octet since profile-independent

monitors may be able to observe a correlation between packet

loss patterns and the marker bit.

ITU G.729 might hold further information.

Regards

Anders

_____